Friday, February 28, 2020

Stir-fried Tomato Egg |蕃茄炒蛋



It was one of the very first dish I learned to cook when I was a child. Back then my parents both worked full time and many nights we needed to cook for ourselves. Leaving children alone at home was so common that people wouldn't even be wary about it. It was the time, I had a lot of opportunities to experiment in my childhood kitchen.

Although I am the middle child, I was always the person in charge of the kitchen. The simple reason was that my sister'd rather occupied with things more interested her than cooking; she was pretty happy when I offered to cook. And my brother was basically just too young to be in the kitchen.

Very soon, I discovered that I could use the rice cooker to make many things other than cooking steamed rice - scramble egg, fry luncheon meat, noodle soup. So I'd never bothered to pull out my mom's big, heavy wok onto the stove. That rice cooker lasted only for a summer. Many years later, I still remember my mom's angry face when she was pointing the scorched egg and the scraped bottom of the rice cooker at us. 

I don't use rice cooker to make tomato egg now. Just like my mom, I use a wok or a pan. However, this sweet memory always steeps into my head whenever I cook this dish. The story belongs to this dish, and I always believe that a lovely dish must have a lovely story.

Hope you enjoy this recipe.


INGREDIENTS:
3 Tomatoes, big
6 Eggs, large
1 tablespoon Chinese Cooking Rice Wine
1/3 teaspoon Salt
2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
Scallion, thinly sliced (optional)

材料:
3 隻  蕃茄,大
6 隻  雞蛋,大
1 湯匙  米酒
1/3 茶匙  鹽
2 湯匙  菜油
蔥,切幼絲 (隨意)

DIRECTIONS 做法:
1. Cut the tomatoes into wedges.  In a bowl, whisk eggs, rice wine, and salt together.

2. Heat up vegetable oil over medium-high heat.  Add tomatoes and fry them until they are slightly softened; about 2 minutes.

1. 蕃茄切瓣。在一只碗內,加入蛋、米酒和鹽;攪打至均勻。

2. 用中大火燒熱菜油。下蕃茄並炒至微軟;若2分鐘。


3. Pour in the egg mixture.  Continue to fry until the egg curds.  Remove the pan from the heat immediately.

3. 倒入蛋汁,繼續炒至其凝結;迅速離火。


4. Sprinkle it with scallion if use.  Serve it with steamed rice.

4. 灑上蔥,配飯享用。





No comments:

Post a Comment

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup | 烤葫蘆南瓜湯

Compare to the non-roasted version, roasted butternut squash instead brings a tremendous different in the flavour.  The caramelized s...