Friday, June 16, 2017

Chocolate and Banana Muffin | 巧克力香蕉小蛋糕



One way to teach a child to value food is to involve them in cooking.  Perhaps I'm a cooking enthusiast, my son more or less inherits some of my genes in this way.  He loves to help around the kitchen, from breakfast to dinner.  If the television isn't on to distract him, he will often peek in to the kitchen and ask if he can help when I am cooking.  I've seen his interest in cooking grow through time.

I still remember my son used to love to smack things around the house with his toy hammer when he was so little.  He would crawl around the house and smack the floor, walls, or cupboard.  So on his 2nd birthday, I decided to make a non-baked chocolate cake for him and assigned him to smash the cookies crumbs for the ingredients.  He happily did his job for a good 10 minutes with lots of laugher with me in the kitchen.  It was the first time we became a team.

Now my son is five years old.  He is capable of a lot more cooking skills that he could actually cook a simple meal for himself, and making pancakes and muffins are two of the things he enjoys most, including his pleas to lick the bowl (by the way, I never let him to lick the batter since I am very conscious of salmonella or other similar risks).

The recipe below was made by my son and the muffins came out beautifully.  I hope you will also enjoy the recipe.


Chocolate and Banana Muffin

Ingredients:
1 Banana, ripe
2.5 cups Whole Wheat Flour
60 gram Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
A handful of Oats
1/3 cup Milk
1/2 cup Sugar
2 tablespoons Baking Powder
1/8 teaspoon Sea Salt
1/3 cup Brown Butter
1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
3 Eggs

DIRECTION:
1. In a mixing bowl, mash the banana with a fork until the banana is fine.

2. Whisk in eggs, milk, vanilla, and butter.  Then mix in the rest of the ingredients except chocolate.


3. Fill each muffin paper 1/4 full of batter.  Place a piece of chocolate onto the centre, and the fill up the muffin paper to eighty percent full.


4. Sprinkle the top with oats.  Bake them in a pre-heated oven at 350F for 12 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup | 烤葫蘆南瓜湯

Compare to the non-roasted version, roasted butternut squash instead brings a tremendous different in the flavour.  The caramelized s...