Monday, June 26, 2017

Cubed Daikon Radish Kimchi | 香辣蘿蔔泡菜粒



People say kimchi is a rice stealer, I agree.  The crunchy vegetables that combine spicy, sour, and a hint of sweet flavour make you always crave more.

Whenever I go to a Korean restaurant, the thing that excites me most are those colourful side dishes.  Some of them are pickled, some are a quick mix of salad, and some are fresh or fermented kimchi.  And fresh and slightly fermented kimchi catches my heart the most.  They aren't as strong as the long-feremted kimchi, but they have the probiotic tangy flavour and the juice from the fresh vegetables, which refreshes your palate.

I personally prefer the fresh and crunchy style of kimchi so I usually skip the rice flour in my kimchi making.  Rice flour works as a thickening agent so that the product will be more presentable and also holds the sauce better.  But I find it is too gooey for my taste no matter how little I use.  Therefore, you will find the kimchi recipe below has a rather thin sauce.

I like to add the kimchi juice in noodles, or use it to pickle perilla leaves.  That way I can use up this delicious juice while eliminating the waste.




Cubed Daikon Radish Kimchi
香辣蘿蔔泡菜粒

After three days of fermentation.


Ingredients:
2 cups Daikon cubes, peeled
6 stalks Scallion
4 cloves Garlic, peeled and grated
15 gram Ginger, peeled and grated
3 tablespoons Salt
1 tablespoon Sugar



Marinate Ingredients:
2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
2 tablespoons Fish Sauce
1 tablespoon Red Chilli Flakes



How to make:
1. Peel the daikon, cut it into half of the ice cube size.

      2. Rub the daikon with salt until the daikon skins start to
slightly give in;  let it rest for about 30 minutes for the juice to come out.

3. Discard the juice except 3 tablespoons of it.




4. Cut the scallion diagonally; set it aside.  Grate the ginger and garlic.




5. In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients.  With hands, mix everything thoroughly.

6. Place the mixture in a jar.  Cover with a lid.  Keep it at room temperature to ferment until the juice starts to bubble, after about 3 days.  Serve it with hot rice.




The kimchi just filled in the jar.

If you are not using the kimchi right away, transfer the kimchi to the fridge to slow down the fermentation.

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoy the recipe.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup | 烤葫蘆南瓜湯

Compare to the non-roasted version, roasted butternut squash instead brings a tremendous different in the flavour.  The caramelized s...