Friday, May 5, 2017

Pickled Daikon Radish | 醃醋蘿蔔



Although daikon radishes are available all year around, the peak season to enjoy these juicy root vegetables is during fall to winter.  At this time, the daikons are plump, juicy, and with less fibre.

My husband and I love to pickle daikons for our side dish.  Sometimes, I will cut them into cubes or sometimes I will simply slice them into thick pieces, depending on how crunchy the texture I want.  But I found the best flavour daikons usually are the ones that are thick and chunky. 

To pickle daikon is very straightward, but you will have to accept that the radish smell will linger in the fridge for quite a few days, even after you finish all of them.  My husband often said he would know when we were going to have pickled radish for dinner because he could smell it, as soon as he stepped out of the elevator down the hallway (but every time he got it right!).  I don't find the radish stinky at all.  I guess it's just like the people who like blue cheese -- they only find the aroma in the food they love.

Pickled Daikon Radish
(Ingredients):
1 Daikon Radish
1 tablespoon Sea salt
1/4 cup White Vinegar
1/3 cup Sugar
1 tablespoon Rice Wine
1 tablespoon Red Chile Flakes

How to make:
1. Peel the daikon.  Cut it into 1cm thick slices.
2. In a zip lock bag, combine all ingredients.  Then, rib it until the sugar is dissolved and the daikon pieces are evenly coated with marinade.
3. Keep the bag in the fridge and allow further marination for two more days before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup | 烤葫蘆南瓜湯

Compare to the non-roasted version, roasted butternut squash instead brings a tremendous different in the flavour.  The caramelized s...